February 27, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

This weekend I decided to do something a little crazy... I made my own laundry detergent!

Now before you freak out and think I've gone all granola on you, I didn't do it because I think the chemicals in laundry detergent are harmful to the environment. I just simply hate spending $8-$10 on laundry detergent every few months (I quit buying the cheap stuff because they make the colors fade). So when I saw this tutorial for making your own laundry detergent that works better than normal detergent, and how easy Jen made it look, I decided to try it! Jen says that this laundry detergent should cost $28 a year if you're doing 6 loads a week.... I don't know about you but between the two of us we probably only do 2-3 loads every 2 weeks. So based on her math that works out to less than $6 a year for our laundry!! Plus the fact that it has fabric softener in it, so I'm thinking I won't have to buy any more dryer sheets either.

To make your own laundry detergent you will need:


1 (4 lb. 12 oz.) box of 20 Mule Team Borax
1 (3 lb.) container of OxyClean (optional, but definitely will make it more effective)
2 (2 lb.) boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1-2 (55 oz.) bottles of Purex Crystals fabric softener
1 (3 lb. 7 oz.) box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 (14.1 oz.) bars of Zote soap (or Fels Naptha)

Everything should be found in the detergent aisle, except for the baking soda which is in the cooking aisle.

I spent $23 on all the products I could find at Target. Two of the products - Zote soap and Super Washing Soda - I couldn't find at Target. I found them on Amazon for a total of $18.23 and with my prime membership they shipped in 2 days for free. (I considered buying all the ingredients at Amazon in the future, but I discovered that most of them cost more on Amazon than at Target.) The total I spent is about $42, plus $4.50 for a large plastic bin to store it.


It sounds like I spent more than Jen, since she claimed to spend $27 for everything. I'm not really sure how she did that?? The Zote soap and Super Washing Soda must be a lot cheaper to buy in-store. However, I am still confident that the $42 I spent will go a long way, and in the end be much cheaper than buying detergent by the bottle!

Before I mixed everything together, I put everything in the bin just to make sure it would fit!


With all the gaps in between the boxes I figured I had enough room to add in the Purex Crystals, too.

It's a no-brainer to figure out how to mix all the dry ingredients together. However, the Zote soap bars had to be grated. Yes, I said grated. Like with a cheese grater. This part got a little weird. Let me reveal to you the pink cheese.


It looked really cool when I put it all together in the bin! I only put in half of each ingredient first just to make it easier to mix.


I used a slotted spoon for mixing. I think that helped.


Jen said she used the Purex bottles to store a smaller amount for everyday use. I quickly discovered that the hole to pour out of it was too small and the shredded Zote soap was getting stuck in it. So I brainstormed. I considered buying another smaller plastic bin, but decided on just using the OxyClean container, since it would be easy to scoop out of and it was FREE! I also held onto the scoop that came with it.

Since I didn't want it to have the OxyClean label, I painted over it in a color I love! I homemade the detergent, so why not have a homemade container for it??


One other awesome thing about this detergent is that you only need to use 1-2 tablespoons per load! Seriously, this stuff will last me forever. Line 1 in the OxyClean scoop is conveniently about 2 tablespoons.


Here it is on top of my dryer for easy access.


I keep the larger bin up on the shelf, and when I  run out of detergent in my pink bin I'll just pull it down for a refill. The bin ended up being the perfect size!


So far I have done 3 loads and I love the way my clothes smell when they come out of the dryer! I am excited that my Target shopping list will not have laundry detergent on it for a long time.

Have you done anything lately that's a little bit "granola?" Do you make your own household products? Have you made your own laundry detergent before?

Linking up to:
Meet Me Monday
So Creative Party Time
What's in the Gunny Sack?

8 comments:

  1. wow! never seen something like this before - but I'm sure it'll last a long time! love the pink container :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that you are looking for ways to live frugally....and it's even pretty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed over from The Gunny Sack. This looks like and interesting recipe! Do you have an HE washer? I have been wanting to make some laundry soap but stop short because of the HE scare with my front loader (which I loathe by the way...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about the front loader washers, but all the reviews in the comments on Jen's post said that the detergent dissolves in water very well (even in cold water) and they had no problems with it clogging up their washers. I'm not sure if I totally answered your question but I hope that helped!

      Delete
  4. if i had more space this would interest me - i make my own kitchen/everyday cleaner (with vinegar) and really like it. i can't believe you also painted the tub - that is dedication right there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed that you made your own laundry detergent! I've been tempted to do this since I hate how much laundry detergent costs! I am weirded out by grating the soap but maybe once I'm out of detergent I will do this. I love your container!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today! I am impressed! maybe someday I'll try this. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cool! my cousin actually did this exact same thing - grated pink soap and everything. my question is- why would you not want to be granola?? you get major points in my book for saving the environment :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)