September 7, 2011

Chicken and Corn Quesadillas

So tonight I wanted to make this recipe for Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas I had seen on Sweet Pea's Kitchen this week. I was all excited because I had all of the ingredients and didn't need to stop at the store. Let's just say I need to remember the phrase, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." Or at least count on Murphy's law winning out. Whatever. My point is, I got home and realized I had no black beans. NONE?! If you know me, that is pretty bad - bad as in I desperately need to go to the grocery store. And I keep avoiding it. (Do I still qualify for the 2011 wife of the year award??) The black beans were pretty much the "meat" of this recipe, and if I just simply left them out, Michael and I would be hungry again in about two hours! So I improvised... or rather just created something totally different. I went with the corn idea since I had a can of that, and added whatever I found in the fridge. I was pretty impressed with how they turned out.

Chicken and Corn Quesadillas
4 wheat flour tortillas (8")
butter/oil/cooking spray
shredded cheese of your choice (I used Cheddar)
small pieces of cooked chicken (I keep a bag of frozen grilled chicken strips in my freezer JUST for the reason of needing chicken in a hurry)
1/3 can of corn (or about 1/2 c. frozen corn)
1 tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro

Grease pan and turn stove on medium heat. Lay down 1 tortilla, top with cheese, chicken, corn, tomato, and cilantro. Place a second tortilla on top, and once cheese is getting mostly melted and/or the bottom tortilla is browned, flip over. After that side is done, transfer to a plate and cut into fourths. Repeat previous steps to make another. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Printer-friendly version

I was surprised at how yummy these were since I didn't add very much to them. I expected them to be a little bland, but the cilantro and fresh tomato really added something to it and I didn't even feel like I needed to top it with salsa or sour cream (although of course I still did!). Hope you enjoy these, too! What are your favorite quesadilla ingredients??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)