January 15, 2014

What I'm thinking about 2014


So many bloggers out there are picking a word for the new year, and I think it's a really neat idea. I actually thought I might try it out this year, since I didn't set any new resolutions. However, I haven't the slightest idea what my word for 2014 should be. I felt a little weird coming into this year, like some big things are going to happen but I have NO IDEA what those are because no big things are really on the calendar! It's a strange feeling to be anticipating something but not know what that something is. Does anyone ever feel that way?

There are some things that are looming but we don't know exactly how or if they're going to pan out:



+ We've talked about doing a big trip this year, and for a while we felt like we should do a mission trip with our church. I think it would be awesome to go somewhere and see God doing work in a different people and culture, and get a fresh perspective on what it means to live a life dedicated to Him. However, we haven't really felt a pull to one trip or another. I don't want to go on a trip just for the sake of saying we went on a mission trip, if you know what I mean. I want it to be for the right reasons. So there's that. If we don't do a mission trip, we want to go overseas to visit my friend who lives right outside of London. This would be so awesome, as I have never been to England and Michael has never been to Europe! So all of these potentially amazing plans are swirling around, but nothing has been set in stone.

+ Michael will most likely be switching jobs this year, if he can find something else that he likes and has opportunity for growth, but he is unsure what exactly he wants to do. This past fall he was up for a really awesome position and went through the entire interview process, only to never get an answer of yes or no, but simply a "not right now, but hopefully soon." We still haven't heard anything, and we are not really holding our breath anymore at this point, but it has been frustrating. So we are praying about what his next steps will be.

+ We just switched to a new campus that my church launched in an area close to our new house, and this past weekend was the first weekend of services there. If you're unfamiliar with our church, it is a multi-site church that has one head pastor who usually does the preaching, but there are campuses in different neighborhoods around the area and they broadcast the sermons to all the campuses. So we all get the same sermon, but each campus has its own community, its own worship team, and its own small groups. So with switching to a new campus, it's not really all that different, because I know we'll hear the same sermons and the doctrine of the church is the same. And we're not switching small groups, at least not yet. However, it definitely feels a lot different going to a different location and hearing a different worship team. We are going to commit for a while, but it might take time for church to feel normal again. Right now it just feels a little weird.


I guess I should stop fretting and be grateful for the things that are set in stone. We both have good jobs, we just bought a house, we have friends right around the corner from us. Life is GOOD. We are so, so blessed. I guess I just want some clarity on what 2014 is going to look like. Somebody just tell me the future!

Scratch that. I think I just need to accept the fact that life is an adventure and the exciting part is that we don't always know what's going to happen. Thankfully my life plan is not totally in my hands and I can rest in the fact that God has it under control. Thank you for listening to my rambling today, if you made it this far.

"The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps."
- Proverbs 16:9

6 comments:

  1. that is a hard mindset for me too. I have a hard time not knowing the future! and it think that would be awesome to do a missions trip together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who knows what could happen this year….!? :) this was a great post and i'm like you - i don't know what my word of the year would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the anticipation and the over-thinking is always the worst. When I lost my job a few years back, I had no idea what would happen. Would I find another job? Am I going to hate it like I hated the previous one? and anxious thoughts like that. It's the hardest thing to sit back and let things happen as they do. We want so desperately to control things. I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think what you said at the end there - the acceptance of the journey, is something i'm really striving for this year, too. i hope michael finds something well suited for him soon - the frustration of the job finding process always stinks, and when they give you answers like that it's like, why did you publish the job posting anyway?! i understand the frustration well. best of luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. friends around the corner wooop wooooop

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good post! At the beginning of each year I always wonder what will happen that next year, but at the same time I'm always so surprised by what transpired the previous year. It really is about just taking it a day at a time and knowing that God is good and in control and His ways are best! I hope that Michael will be able to feel more settled about a job/find the right one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)