January 13, 2014

Weekend update


This past weekend was low-key but pretty amazing. There's something so nice about cozying up on a cold and rainy January day, not feeling like you have to go anywhere or do anything fancy. We were able to catch up on some things around the house: putting up curtains in the dining room, adding some shelves in the garage and finishing up the workbench (Michael), and re-organizing the kitchen pantry (me). There are several other cosmetic changes I still want to make to the decor of our house, but sometimes you just need to do the things that no one will notice but you. It feels so good to have all of my food organized with everything in its place and a clean kitchen to start the week off with.



I know I still need to show you pictures of our home, and I have been waiting for that perfect moment when the entire house is clean and tidy, when we've bought that new couch we want, when I have something hung above our bed... but the truth is it may be awhile before all of those things are done. So I have resolved to just start taking photos of the way it is now - sometime soon I hope! And be sure that I'll share them here when I do.


Besides hanging at home, we also got to spend time with friends on Friday night and Saturday night. Friday was dinner with a group, then the boys headed to the movies and the girls hung out at home with wine and cookie dough. Saturday night we met friends at World of Beer in North Hills for some drinks. And then Sunday we watched the Panthers game with my sister-in-law. The game was a huge disappointment, but there was some delicious chili involved, so I don't think it was a total waste of an afternoon.

It's quite a lovely thing, this stage of life. Being able to do the things we want to do when we want to do them, with not much planning. I know this stage won't last forever, so I am trying to remind myself to savor this time and enjoy it. There's also something I love about these cold winter months. Time seems to slow down a bit, we have nowhere to go and nothing to do but to hunker down at home and spend our time how we want. Spring, summer, and fall all seem to get so filled up with weddings, trips with family, and just tons of activity in general. But the winter is for hibernating. While I'm usually getting antsy by March to get out and do things, in January and February I'm going to eat it up and take advantage of all this time we have!

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I feel about January and February. I will definitely be getting antsy for spring and summer by the end of February, but for now I am enjoying relaxing at home and just having slower weekends in general. We've been reading more and I love that about these months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love winter for exactly that reason. it's such a nice time to be cozy and bake and be warm and read and craft, etc. your weekend sounds really fun and productive with projects! i've been thinking of doing a bedroom makeover. i might ask you guys about how you did your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to that last paragraph. brian and i are trying to do the same thing. love that the ladies stayed home with wine and cookie dough - my kind of night.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)