December 31, 2013

2013 in Review

This was a year of...

Weddings





Travel



Smoky Mountains (twice, actually)
NYC (days onetwothree, and four)
a recap of my adventures while studying abroad in France in '09


and buying our first home!



And here's a little video I put together of some of my favorite moments from this year:


I can't believe how fast this year has flown by! It's pretty cool to look through this blog and see little snippets of what we did and who we spent our time with. Of course I hope you know that this blog showcases the highlights and big things in our life. What you don't see are the days where work is mundane or hard. You don't see the family or friendship conflicts that go on. You don't see the tears that were shed or the cold words that were spoken in moments of anger. We all have those times, and I think it's important to acknowledge that here, because photos can sometimes be a bit misleading. The last thing I want you to think is that my life or my marriage is perfect, because they are not. But there's something so sweet about looking back through a year of life lived, and to see that amidst the hard things, there is beauty and blessing, too. It's so easy to get into the mindset of thinking things are either good or bad, when in reality there is so much gray. Almost everything in life has another side to it, and as I look back through this year that truth is confirmed over and over again.

Tonight we will ring in the new year with a low-key evening with friends eating yummy food, drinking champagne, and watching the ball drop. Tomorrow I am hosting a New Year's Day brunch at our house, which should be a great way to kick off 2014!

Happy new year to you all! Looking forward to what 2014 has in store.

5 comments:

  1. good words, lady. there is so much gray! slow days, boredom, frustration, feeling like you're moving backwards instead of forwards. but, then again, there are also so many other colors, and life is a combo of them all. here's to a colorful 2014! have fun this evening and at brunch. for breakfast tomorrow, i'm making french toast and bacon for my roommate and her boyfriend. starting the year off with bacon? the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! Thanks for the recap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great year! Even though it's missing all the rough edges that happen in life, I love how these recaps compress all the great things that can happen in 365 days. 2013 looks good but I hope your 2014 is even better! Happy New Year, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your video and what you wrote - really, really spoke to me. happy new year brittons! i hope this year brings you more happiness and blessings, definitely a highlight in 2013 to have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, you sure did have a busy year!! A lot of exciting things. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)