October 17, 2013

You should make this bread


While I love me some fresh bread, I don't have the time to spend all day making it like I did here. When I saw this recipe, it looked fairly simple and didn't seem like it would take that long so I gave it a whirl on a random week night. And I'm SO glad I did. This bread is flavorful and perfect for toasting for breakfast. Add a little cinnamon sugar or strawberry jam on top and you're good to go. The best part is that this bread is so easy and simple. I whipped up the dough of only 5 ingredients, let it rise while I watched a TV show, baked it in the oven for 30 minutes, and then let it cool. I actually halved this recipe and it worked really well!



I would love to try the full recipe with wheat flour, and possibly freeze loaves so I can use it as our everyday bread instead of bread or English muffins from the grocery store that have so many preservatives and other ingredients. If nothing else, make this bread simply because warm bread slathered in butter is one of life's many pleasures. You're welcome.


English Muffin Bread
from Pink Pistachio

3 tbs. yeast
2 tbs. salt
3 tbs. sugar
5 1/2 cups warm water
11 c. flour

Preheat oven to 350 and coat 4 loaf pans with cooking spray. Combine yeast, salt, sugar, and warm water in an extra large bowl. Stir with wire whisk until dissolved. Add 1/2 of the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon. Add the rest of the flour, stir well (will be lumpy and sticky). Cover and let rise double in size. Spray spoon with cooking spray and gently divide dough into fourths and transfer to the four loaf pans. Use a rubber spatula to gently spread evenly - dough is very sticky and not meant to be overly handled. Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from pans immediately and cool loaves on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight bag or container. Best when eaten toasted.

3 comments:

  1. I bet using this an everyday bread (for sandwiches and other things) would be sooooo much cheaper than buying the store bought-kind. Okay, I'm convinced. I'm making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my stepdad makes bread like a crazy person! i have never been brave enough to try because it always seems so risky and complicated. this looks simple enough for the bread making rookies to give it a go. yum! (also, i just saw the triFABB group was having an event coming up. any chance you are going?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delicious! You are inspiring me to make some bread today! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)