November 6, 2012

Apple Crisp Pie



Of course when you go to an apple orchard and come home with two large bags of apples, you must make lots of apple desserts! Every year for Thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas too), my sister makes a traditional apple pie with a flaky crust topping, and it's amazing. But I was craving a crispy crumbly topping instead, so I tried this recipe from Jen at Beantown Baker. It was just what I was hoping for! It is packed with apples, sugar, and spices, and the crumble topping is perfection. Mine had more liquid than the one pictured Jen made. And I probably would use a deep dish pie pan if you had one. I didn't, so I used a 9-inch pan and that worked fine!

This pie was incredible. You should totally make it if you've got a bunch of apples lying around. And if you don't, just go buy some at the grocery store because this pie is calling your name.


Apple Crisp Pie

Filling:
6 c apple chunks (I used 3 Pink Ladies and 3 Fujis)
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice

Topping:
1 1/4 c four
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare dry filling ingredients in a large bowl, set aside. Core, peel, and slice apples (I used an apple/peeler/corer/slicer which made this normally long process a dream!). Transfer into large bowl with dry ingredients. Top off with vanilla and lemon juice. Toss to coat apples well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes while you prep the dough.

Fit your pie crust into a pie plate (I used a store bought crust). Fill pie crust with prepared apple filling.

In a medium bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients. Pour cooled melted butter into bowl. Toss and cut until small to medium sized chunks form. Break up large chunks as needed. Using a spoon, sprinkle crumb topping over entire pie.

Cover pie loosely with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for an additional 35 minutes. Remove foil for a few minutes at the end to get the topping more crispy if you prefer. Cool and enjoy!

source: Beantown Baker guest post on Nutmeg Nanny

11 comments:

  1. yum!! I love apple desserts and that one looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um YES. i can definitely do this. and yes, when my day comes i will totally register for one of those contraptions because it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, this looks completely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite way to eat apples! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I ADORE those plates! Where did you get???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from One King's Lane I think! (it's sort of like Joss & Main)

      They came in 6 different colors. I love them!

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! (My plate would definitely be the one with two scoops of ice cream :) ) I can't wait to round up some apples and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i use to think i loved a crust on top of my apple pies but then i tried the crumble crisp stuff and it is amazing! this is the way i make all of my apple pies now yum now i am craving pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, the best thing about the holidays is all the scrumptious pies. And this is no exception! This looks incredible!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your polka dot plates are too cute! I was planning on making this same thing this week, but then the apples turned into afternoon snacks so I'm thinking we may grab a few more apples + make a crisp this weekend :) xoxo! eliza

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect pie! I prefer the crisp/crumble top on pies rather than the flaky crust, too! The rest of my family loves pie crust, though, so I never get the other stuff. And those polka dot plates are so cute!! I really need to add polka dots to my dish collection :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)