October 15, 2012

Home reveal: Kitchen

So remember where we left off? A few weeks ago we were looking at the living room and dining room, and now I've finally photographed the kitchen. This room was probably the one that came together the fastest, since there wasn't much furniture involved. I did change things around a lot at first though, like the stuff in the cabinets and the appliances on the counters. It's always so hard to figure out how to organize a new and different kitchen! Let's take a look at what it's looking like now...




Of course since we're renting I have no say in what the kitchen looks like, and while it's a little dated with the wallpaper, the stainless appliances and white corian counters make up for it! And at least the wallpaper is neutral. The blue tile is also not something I would pick, but it somehow goes with my kitchen colors and I love that it's unique and a little old feeling.



One thing that was tough to get used to is the lack of a pantry. My apartment had a great pantry in addition to a good amount of cabinet space, so coming to a kitchen with the same or maybe less cabinet space and no pantry was tough (my New Yorker readers are probably laughing at me). Those baskets that I found at Michaels were perfect for storing our coffee/tea on the counter and snacks above the fridge. We also ended up buying a small cabinet at Home Depot for extra food storage, which helped a ton. It's sitting in our dining room right outside the kitchen door.


This is probably my favorite thing about this kitchen! I don't love how it's closed off from the living room area, but this breakfast nook is its saving grace. I really love having a mini table where we & our guests can eat meals, or just hang out while there's cooking going on. I also like having wall space to hang things. Our old kitchen didn't have any wall space!


So that's the kitchen. Maybe in another month I'll post pictures of another room. Just kidding! I'm hoping to post more in the next week or two. Get ready!

Also, for those of you who care, here's a source list:
Table & chairs: Craigslist find
White desk organizer: Pottery Barn
Red pitcher: HomeGoods
Glass canisters: Ross
Baskets: Michaels
Rugs: HomeGoods
Extra cabinet: Home Depot (Martha Stewart brand)

12 comments:

  1. I love your little breakfast nook! and love the window over your sink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great space! And I love the pitcher you put all your wooden spoons in-- I think I might have the same one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very spacious! i actually like the wallpaper - it's not what you would ever choose, but it makes it look so cozy and homey! and as far as wallpaper goes it's not too bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha - i admit it, i laughed! i think about 10 of my kitchens could fit in yours, haha. i LOVE the white countertops, quite a but. i think it's good the wallpaper is subtle - my kitchen growing up was decorated in the 70's and we always had the puke green/burnt orange/mustard striped wallpaper. let's just say - not all stripes are good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking beautiful, Laura - I love the feel of a real "home" - so cozy looking!! (not that the apt. wasn't though!!)
    you're doing a great job miss homemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your kitchen! It looks so homey! And having a table in there really is great, I think that makes it more inviting. I honestly didn't notice that there was wallpaper at first - it is pretty neutral! And I agree that your red pitcher with utensils is really cute :) Excited to see more of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! looks so inviting. isn't it so gratifying to accomplish projects like this?? xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everybody! And thank you for reassuring me that the wallpaper isn't that bad. I would much rather have this than green & orange 70s stripes haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've done a great job working with what you have! I know firsthand how challenging it is to make a rented space feel homey and like your own. I love the idea of having the little table in the kitchen so people can hang out when others are cooking. Great space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! I love a kitchen that's bright and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww how cute! You did a great job, girl! I especially love your rug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your kitchen...the cozy feel of it makes having a cup of coffee in it with you one of my most favorite things...wish we could do it once a week!
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)