April 23, 2013

Mini-vacation: Florida

I don't normally try to do "catch-up" posts, but we've had so many great weekends recently that I figured I should share a bit from each of them (and now that I finally have some time to catch a breath). This post is all about Florida!

Michael goes to Miami a couple times a year for work, so when we found out he was going down again in April we immediately started brainstorming how to make a trip out of it. Vacations are a lot cheaper when one of your plane tickets is already paid for! Michael's grandmother lives in Naples, so we figured out a way to spend a long weekend with her before his work commitment. We flew into Naples on Friday, rented a car to drive around for the weekend, and then on Monday drove across the state to Ft. Lauderdale, where we got some lunch on the water and then I flew out from there and Michael headed down to Miami to stay for the week. It worked out perfectly!

We had such a great weekend down there. I was seriously at my limit with the longest winter in the history of the world, and Florida was just the way to get me through it. Grandmom showed us around her neighborhood community (which was awesome by the way. Think a college campus with palm trees and golf carts, without the class part) and took us to Perkins for dinner. We spent our afternoons at the beach and soaked up that Florida sun we needed so much. We took Grandmom out for pizza and ice cream, and also to go see the sunset on the water. It was just a really great weekend.

Then I came home and it was finally spring! Thank you, Florida!


I had the BEST fish tacos at Casablanca in Ft. Lauderdale. If you're ever down in Florida and need a good lunch spot, this is where you should go! Not to mention the view was incredible!

5 comments:

  1. How lovely! Those palm trees make my heart ache for summer :) I'm glad you had a great, senior-friendly trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots! Looks like such a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a perfect weekend! this winter really was the longest. and spring has been kind of in and out here the past few days... the mornings have still been chilly! i am ready for 80 degree weather and full sunshine :) the pictures of the beach are so beautiful! and michael's grandmother is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures make me positively ache for summer. Looks like the perfect getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a fellow east coaster who gets sick of winter - i love florida so much (and don't take advantage of it enough!) it's just so beautiful in so many ways - glad you guys had a fun and stayed warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)