April 16, 2013

On tragedy


I'm sure you've noticed from various posts on this blog that I am a Hokie - I spent my four years of college at Virginia Tech. I was a freshman in 2007, when those deadly shootings happened right on our campus. The massacre took a girl from my hall. One of my roommate's best friends. 3 people from the campus ministry I was involved in, Cru. One of my friends witnessed the aftermath of the first shooting in the dorm, leaving her terribly and understandably disturbed. On a campus of close to thirty thousand students, those 32 lives affected a lot more people than you would think.

It was heart breaking.

Never in my wildest nightmares did I imagine experiencing something like this when I left home for college. A tragedy like that is just not something you think humans are capable of creating. And to be honest, I didn't quite get it when it happened at Columbine. I remember thinking it was sad, but I was young and it didn't hit home. Maybe because it was so far away.  But the shootings in Blacksburg? That was terrifyingly close. Those people who died were Virginia Tech students just like me. I could have been in any of those classrooms. My friends could have. My husband could have.

So, now when I hear of a tragedy? My heart really feels it. I know that fear that strikes the hearts of those who are close to the incident. First the shock, and then the asking, "why?" Then the sadness. The kind of sadness you feel deep in your gut. Then more shock as you're watching TV and seeing the numbers go up and up and up. The panic that ensues when you can't send calls or texts to find out if those you love are okay. The tears and hugs of finally connecting with those loved ones. The not knowing what to do and how to fill the time. We pause life, but in the meantime, do we talk? Do we laugh? Do we sit in silence? Do we watch TV or do we turn it off because it's too much?

I do know that there is something magical that happens when people come together in the midst of a tragedy. People actually come together. I saw that on my campus in the days and weeks following April 16th, and I've already seen that in the city of Boston. People running not from but to the scene to help out. People sending out helpful information on Twitter, and all of the praying - so much praying - going on all over social media, all over the country. I am not there, but I can see it's happening. Times like these cause me to lose faith in humanity, and then regain it all over again when I see how people respond. How God shows up in and through people.

I am so thankful that I never have to go through a tragedy without God. Some people may say that when something bad happens, it means God is not there. But I always wonder what a tragedy would look like if God was truly absent. I think the aftermath would look a lot different without our Father orchestrating the coming together and helping each other. The miracle stories and the changed lives would not exist. I know He is taking care of us always, even in tragedy, and for that I am so, so grateful.


Boston, you've got heart, and I know you will get through this. Please know that I am praying for you and your families.




3 comments:

  1. I too am thankful that we won't go through any of these tragedies without God. Well said, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't imagine going through anything, especially a tradegy without the hope that God is in control and has a perfect plan and a better place for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was such a beautiful and touching post laura...thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)