January 2, 2013

2013


Twenty-thirteen, I'm not so sure what to make of you yet. I don't really know what my goals for you are, but I'm taking the month of January to figure them out (although we all know I'll still be doing that come December). I guess that's mainly because things are good. I feel settled, I feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be, and I feel like my life is full. I don't know if I necessarily want to make any changes, but I believe there's always room for growth and new opportunity. New experiences. I'm really looking forward to this year. I think I sort of felt the same way at the close of last year, and it's great to see that I've accomplished my goal of staying in the same company for one whole year! It feels good to have some longevity and history somewhere. I will say that at the end of this year I feel more grown up. I'm not sure why, but I just feel more comfortable being an adult. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm almost 25? Yikes, that feels really weird.

I also did pretty well on my resolutions this year. Not perfect, but pretty good. And that just feels nice. We paid off all of my student loans - hooray! I would say roughly 50% of the year I tried two new recipes a week, although I didn't do so well experimenting with new veggies and ethnic foods as I had hoped. And I worked on having patience with my husband, which is still a work in progress (obvi).

Poll: have you ever successfully completed all of your New Year's resolutions? I don't think I have ever finished all of mine.

On New Year's Day we had friends over for a brunch to welcome 2013, and we all decided that it needs to become a New Year's tradition. That's one of my resolutions this year: make some intentional family traditions with Michael. I'm excited about this one. My one faux pas - I forgot to take pictures of the food or the people! Guess I was having too much fun!


I'm also excited to learn how to use this. I've sewed before, but not with my own machine and I don't really know how to set up all the thread, bobbins, etc. I'm ready for some new pillows and curtains to come!


This is random, but remember our living room? We took down our tree and started brainstorming different arrangements to make it feel more open. Here's our latest. We kind of love it! Although it does kind of make me crave a larger area rug to fill the space more. I'll chew on that one for a bit before making any decisions.





Happy New Year! May your 2013 days be bright.

+

P.S. The calendar above is a gift from my mother-in-law. She is an amazing artist and every year she puts together a calendar showcasing her paintings and gives it out to friends and family. I just love it!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my! Can't wait to see what you come up with since you've gotten some new toys! I've only kept one resolution in my life. One year I decided to floss everyday Jan. 1 - Dec. 31 and I did! I still floss (almost) everyday. Lol. Guess that was easy enough to do...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You started doing something and it became habit. That's really impressive that you did it every single day!

      Delete
  2. i love the new set-up and i love that rug too...so i say keep chewing!

    also, the little centerpieces with the corks and flower? awesome idea! i am absolutely stealing it.

    as for resolutions - the only resolution i've really followed through on was starting and maintaining a blog. i'm not huge into resolutions and, like you, i feel pretty content. but we'll see what the year brings - sometimes as it goes along i see things i want to change or make better that i was fine with before, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to hear someone say that they feel content and happy with their life! I have been feeling the same way the past few months, and for that I am so thankful! I think it does have something to do with settling down and becoming a part of a community(ies), whether through a job, church, etc. And 25 is also coming up for me - eeps! I have never kept all of my New Year's Resolutions, and each year I find myself making fewer and fewer.

    I'm excited to see what sewing projects you accomplish! I have no idea how to sew but I told my mom once we start having kids she can teach me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so glad you feel settled in your life right now! i love reading your blog and hearing about all your normal life stuff and your thoughts and ideas :) excited to see you in a couple more weeks! have fun thinking through your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the way you've set up your living room! It looks so good. And I don't mind the smaller-sized rug. I'm a huge fan of hardwood floors, though.

    And... a sewing machine? Seriously great. I don't know how to sew, but I'd love to learn someday! Making your own curtains and pillow cases would be so convenient!

    I love that you feel settled and happy in your life right now. I feel the same. I feel content and happy with my day to day, and this has been true for about 3 years now, so I feel lucky! I'm also older than you (by a smidge), so hopefully your feelings are here to stick around for awhile like mine have! I wish you more happiness in 2013, Laura! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on paying off all of your student debt!! That's amazing! We are still working on paying ours off, but we are SUPER close! :)

    Your mother-in-law is so talented! The calendar is lovely. I love that she puts her paintings together in a calendar for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on paying off your student loans! That's a pretty major accomplishment. I'm also glad to hear you are happy and content right now. That's a great place to be!

    I can't wait to see your adventures in sewing! I got one last year and have been meaning to use it more often. Please share your projects so I can have some inspiration.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura! I live in NC too! I'm located in Raleigh. Good luck with your sewing machine. Sewing can be a little addictive. I own a T3i too, and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah for using your sewing machine! I LOVE mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so refreshing to hear that someone is satisfied with where they are in life. seriously. i feel like all i hear about (from others AND myself) are feelings of restlessness. i am happy that you're happy! go, you! also, your living room looks really cozy and comfy. this is me inviting myself over.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)