June 25, 2012

Memories

This past weekend I went through some old boxes from my parents' house. It was so weird to go through all of my high school memories, and some even older than that! These boxes were filled with old notes from friends, hilarious journals from middle school, sewing projects, and photos. I also came across about a billion ticket stubs to various movies, concerts, and high school musicals. Don't ask me why I saved all of them, but it was fun going through and seeing all the different movies I saw in theaters. Teenagers see SO many movies it's ridiculous! Take a peek at some of the things I found.

Notes written in class and passed in the hallways to my friends,
all kept in a priceless homemade memory box from a good friend


Yearbooks! I have yet to leaf through these.


My now 10-year-old doggy as a 1-year-old pup

A matching mother-daughter picture. Love this so much!


Of course a good amount of things had to be tossed...
(yes, I used to cross-stitch. maybe I'll show you some of my lovely finished projects another time)


 But there are some things I would never, ever, ever throw away.
Like this decorative rack, hand-painted by my grandmother for my nursery.
She passed away when I was 5, and I love that I have this keepsake from her.
It makes me want to name my daughter Laura just so I can put it up in her nursery.


Things like this make me cherish the memories that made me who I am today. They make me thankful for the full life that I have lived, all due to my parents, siblings, friends, and experiences that influenced me so much. These things also make me thankful for where I am today. One day I will look back on my 20s, fondly I hope, and think of these times as "the past." What will I remember? What will I not remember? I'm realizing that what I do every day is me adding pages to my story. So every day really counts. Because pages add up to chapters, and chapters compile the book. I hope one day I'm proud of the way I'm living right now. Mostly, I hope I remember. At least the good things anyway.

6 comments:

  1. oh man - what i would do to have some of my old note from high school and middle school! and that picture of you and your mother is priceless. i love how you ended this post - every day does count for something, because it's all part of our story. page after page, chapter after chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun!! I have my boxes of notes in our basement and have pulled them out a few times - it is embarrassing to read them. : ) and to think I thought I had big problems then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely precious!! I went through all my childhood things last year and loved reliving the memories. So wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite is the picture of you and your mom - so cute! I have all my high school notes and old keepsakes like this at my parents' house still. I want to go get them after reading this post! I've kind of been waiting for our house to be a little more unpacked/organized before I bring anything else into the house, but it will be so fun to go through everything and relive the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have this blog! That's a start for remembering, I think. And a good one, if you ask me.

    This post weirdly made me cry. I am TOTALLY a nostalgic person and reading your last paragraph made me tear up. I also have had an incredibly full life and every day I am thankful. Every. single. day.

    Love these memories. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)