February 4, 2014

Organization tip: Holiday cards

I am a forgetful person, but for those who know me, a lot of the time I probably seem like I have it all together. The reason is because I set myself up for things so that when I do forget (because I know I will) I have a backup plan. If I need to run an errand or call someone on my way home from work, I put a reminder in my phone for the time I know I'll be leaving. I write myself notes and lists and leave them in conspicuous areas so as not to forget important things. If I have to bring something with me when I'm leaving the house, I'll put it right next to my purse so I won't forget it when I walk out the door. I find when I don't have things prepped, I waste time and money, and I don't like that.

One thing I've started doing recently is having birthday, wedding, and baby cards at the ready.
I hate being in a time crunch and having to run to the store to get a card for a friend or family member's birthday (that's tomorrow!), paying $4+ for a piece of paper, and then rushing to get in the mail on time. So, to remedy this, I've created a system for my forgetful self that is fool proof, that saves me both time and money.

1. I keep a stash of various holiday cards at home and at my desk at work. When I am at either place and suddenly remember I need a card for a birthday or a baby shower, I have one right there that I can write and send out.

2. I keep stamps in my wallet so that they are with me at all times.

3. When I find a cute card for a good price, I like to buy a bunch of them at a time. My go-to places are the Dollar Store (not kidding!) and Vistaprint. The Dollar Store sells their cards 2-for-$1, and while they're not all amazing, you can usually find a few that are actually pretty cute. On Vistaprint, I check out their holiday folded card section and order a 10-pack of the ones I like, usually for birthdays. Here are some of the ones I just ordered recently:



Do you have a backup system so you don't forget birthdays?

4 comments:

  1. i have reminders in my calendar, and i also have stamps in my wallet. however i work across from a papyrus, cvs, and duane reade, so it's easy to just pop in and get a card a couple of days before i need it. i'm similar to you with the forgetfulness - always putting stuff in my bag or by the door or writing notes, it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, hello cute vistaprint cards. never used them before, but these are adorable! i always, always keep my stamps in my wallet. i couldn't even think of a better place for them. right on! i keep a stash of cards on hand myself. i buy the cheap .99 ones at walmart and target because i find myself in the same predicament as you-needing a card and having to buy one for like $13. never again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I tend to send a "I suck" email a few days after someones birthday! This would totally solve the problem! Not to mention I am sure we could use some of the cards for our clients! Awesome post!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, if it weren't for Facebook I would forget all birthdays. I really need to get better at this. I love the idea of getting a calendar and putting birthday stickers on the days of those I love :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)