August 27, 2013

Home Reveal: Guest Bedroom


Tonight my mom is coming to stay with us on her way down south for my cousin's wedding this weekend, and I thought it was only fitting to finally share pictures of the guest bedroom. This was one of the first rooms I got set up when we moved here as I was really excited to have an official place for family and friends to stay when they come visit. We were really lucky to be gifted these two twin beds from Michael's family, as well as a twin mattress, and my family donated a twin mattress as well. Michael slept in these beds all throughout his childhood, and then took them to college with him.
His dad also slept in them as a boy. I think it's pretty cool that we now have them! I have toyed with the idea of restaining or painting them, so we'll see if that happens anytime soon. My hope is that one day they will be beds for a third generation of Britton kiddos!

At first I thought it might be weird to have two twin beds instead of the double or queen bed that seems to the norm for most guest rooms, but they have actually worked really well. Married couples who come to stay don't mind, my sisters definitely don't complain, and once we had two guys stay the night - I bet they were actually relieved to see two beds when they walked into the guest room!


The nightstand is also a hand-me-down, and I painted it navy and added a little vintage knob to make it fit the room a bit more. The lamp was an old brass one that I spray-painted brushed nickel. I've been looking for a new shade (this one is not in the best shape) but can't seem to find one by itself in the style I'm looking for.


So here you have it: a simple room that's still a work in progress. If you ever find yourself near Raleigh and need a place to stay, you are certainly welcome at our house!

Beds & nightstand: old
Lamp: old
Quilts: HomeGoods
Other bedding: old
Curtains: World Market
Frames: Target

6 comments:

  1. i love those quilts! i just told chris last night we need to go to homegoods to get a new bedspread! have fun with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so great! when guests visit my apartment, they get an air mattress, or, if they're lucky, the couch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors! It looks so warm and inviting without being overwhelming or overly designed. Very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - guests at my place get a couch so you are way ahead of me on this one!! Ha!

      Delete
  4. what a cool family heirloom - those are awesome! i also laugh at the over the two guys being relieved - guys are so funny in that way vs. girls. i do bet they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your guest room! It looks so cozy and inviting. I especially like the bedspreads!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)