July 2, 2013

What I'm Up To

Hello to the Internet world! I'll resume my France posts soon. But for now, here's what I'm up to right now:

Making Blueberry Zucchini Bread
with our produce box goodies



Reading these books


Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
I started this book a little unsure of how interested I'd be in the story, but I had heard from so many people it was great that I decided to give it a shot. Several times have I almost busted out laughing mid-read, it's that funny. I also failed to notice that the author is one of the writers for Arrested Development. It has just as many awkward, ironic situations as you would picture and more. Such clever writing. I'm almost finished and a little sad about it.





7 by Jen Hatmaker
My church small group is taking a break for the summer, so the women of our group decided to do a summer book club. We've been meeting weekly to discuss this book one chapter at a time, and it has been awesome. Jen decides to fast from 7 areas of her life for one month each: food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending, and stress. We live in a society where we all have so much, and most other people in the world are just trying to survive. Yet we're the ones who are unhappy and always looking for more, that next best thing that will bring us joy. This book has cut me to the core of why I do the things I do and why I buy the things I buy for myself, and made me realize that selfish living isn't living at all. Next up is the media chapter. I haven't decided if I'm going to fast from this or not! Probably would be a good idea to try it.


Running & making the gym a part of my routine
This has been a work in progress for the past 5-6 months. I started running again (nothing huge, just 1-2 miles) and getting back in shape was much harder this time than it has ever been. I might write a post about this sometime soon. I guess it's probably something to do with being 25 instead of 18, but it was just really difficult. I finally feel like I'm getting stronger and building endurance again, and it feels great. I run when I can, and walk if I don't think I can run. At least that's better than nothing. I also have started doing weight training for the first time in a long time, and I'm really seeing results, namely in my overall strength. I don't want to have to "get back in shape" again, so that's my motivation to keep this up for the long haul.


Babysitting my nephew



I got to babysit my nephew for a couple hours last weekend! His laugh is so contagious and I seriously don't tire of watching this over and over again. Also note Michael's facial expressions. Hilarious.

2 comments:

  1. oh hello! i need to get that bernadette book as i've heard so many good things about it. and i love the idea of that fasting book - whenever brian or i have a bad day, the other reminds them of how good we have it. that at the end of the day we come home to a safe place, with food on the table, and a simple glass of wine. that is the realization that we are beyond, beyond lucky, and everything will be ok and we should be thankful. it's been super helpful for both of us to realign our priorities and put everything into perspective.

    and woo hoo to your workout! i started doing weight stuff when i moved to the city at 24 - for the first time in my life - and four years later i'm still doing it, have set workout routines, etc. establishing it in your mid-20s turns it into a lifelong habit in my viewpoint, so keep it up! if you've made it 6 months I think you're good to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard great things about both books. write a review when you're done and tell us what you think. :-) also, i hear you about the "getting back in shape" thing. i really enjoy working out, but sometimes i can't get motivated for a week or two at a time and starting back up is always good but SO tiring. i refuse to believe it's because i'm getting older. ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)