May 2, 2012

Green thumb wannabe





I mentioned that I picked up some fresh herb sprouts at the farmers market this weekend. Basil and cilantro, two of my faves. Last year I grew them from seeds. They lasted a while and I got to use them in some recipes, but I also didn't know what I was doing. The nice guy at the farmers market, or I guess I could call him the farmer (duh), told me how to care for these precious little guys. "Morning sun, afternoon shade. And don't over-water the basil." Last summer it was so hot that I watered my plants all the time, thinking they needed more to drink in the stifling heat. But soon my basil had yellowing leaves, and I found out I was drowning him as well as scorching him in the afternoon sun. My cilantro pretty much keeled over at one point, maybe from too much sun as well. So I obviously made some changes this year: brought them off the balcony onto the table so they'll get the morning sun and be shaded in the afternoon; waiting to water until they really need it, which is not necessarily every day. I'm sure hoping this works better! So far they look great... but then again I've only had them for 4 days. Hopefully my black thumb is at least turning a hunter green by now, so these beautiful guys actually stand a chance!


4 comments:

  1. exciting! my question is always about pruning them. like how do the leaves grow back? is there a right anda wrong way to pick them? I clearly know nothing about this, so I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year my plant was larger so I didn't have to worry about it too much. I did notice that the leaves would grow back though. I'll definitely have to look into that to see what the best way to pick them is.

      Delete
  2. that is exciting! we started a garden last year and I'm excited to do it again. we need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad to know how to care for basil! I am terrible with plants - I just assume everything wants a lot of water and a lot of sun. And naturally they always die! We have had basil for a while but it's looking pretty rough... Caleb is trying to bring it back to life so I'll have to tell him morning sun afternoon shade. Why didn't I think to google it??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)