April 22, 2015

Kale & Black Bean Salad


This past weekend I was trying to figure out what to bring to a cookout using ingredients that I had in my fridge... and I came up with this. I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out! The kale doesn't get soggy and I liked that it was a bean salad that was packed with veggies. I have the feeling I'll be making some version of this a lot this summer! Later I thought if I had a red onion that might have been a good addition, or maybe a red bell pepper, or substitute feta for the parmesan. You could even add quinoa to bulk it up. I think you could use a number of ingredients and it would turn out great as long as you've got a good base dressing. My favorites are homemade dressings, or the Good Seasons packets, which are basically homemade just easier. Homemade is so much better than store bought!




Kale & Black Bean Salad
Good Seasons Greek dressing packet (plus the vinegar and olive oil)
kale, chopped
cucumber, diced
black beans
parmesan

The quantity of the ingredients is just however much you want to make. Since I was making for a group I did a lot of kale, 2 cans of black, beans, a large cucumber, and used almost all of the dressing. But use your own judgment on ratios according to your preference.

Mix dressing together and set aside. Put all remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix. Add dressing and mix until combined evenly throughout the salad. Add garlic salt or other spices if needed. Chill in fridge for at least an hour so the kale can soak in the dressing. Toss before serving. Can be eaten the next day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)