August 12, 2014

Summer vacation: 1000 Islands


Oh Mudlunta, how I love you.

A couple weeks ago we took a long road trip up to the family cottage in the 1000 Islands. It was an incredible week! We had a bit of rain, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our vacation. The best part of the 1000 islands is just being there. Soaking in the peaceful quiet of the river, spending time with family, reading until your heart's content, taking a ride in the kayak whenever you want to (even in when it's raining!), sailing in the open water. There's so much to do all the time, but somehow it's a slow pace too. I don't think I realized how much I needed the island. I needed that week off from work. I needed that quality time with my little family. But I think mostly I needed the break from life - a pause from the normal day-to-day stuff that tends to wear you down after a while. I was able to find some rest for my mind, and that is the best part about vacation no matter where you are.



I posted quite a few pictures. Just wanted to give you a glimpse of this gorgeous place in all its beautiful glory!


We went into the town of Gananoque a few times for the grocery store and to eat dinner out one night, and also took a day trip to Clayton, but other than that we stayed on the island. Michael took me sailing, which is a little scary for someone with little to no sailing experience, but exhilarating all at the same time. I can understand why people who love sailing are really into it. I got to know my nephew and nieces better and they got to know us. It was so fun to have some extended time with them. And of course Cooper was in dog heaven. He settled right into island life. He ran, played, and swam until he passed out from exhaustion, every day, all day.  He even loved boating. By the end of the week his favorite nap spot was at the bow of the docked boat! For food, I made a few meals ahead of time, froze them solid and brought them up in the cooler to be baked there - chicken enchiladas, tuna salad for lunches, breakfast strata, and berry cobbler - and that was seriously the best thing. I want to do all of my vacations that way from now on!



Happiest (and luckiest) dog in the world.


Thank you, Mudlunta. You are beautiful, and we will be back as soon as we can.

5 comments:

  1. This place is a little slice of Heaven! I have the very same feelings and thoughts about the St. Lawrence River. Wow, how much I miss it already right now. Who knows, maybe in the future we will be up there at the same time! Xo Moe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing! I sure hope that works out one day :)

      Delete
  2. how much fun does this look! you guys look so cute and happy! where is mudlunta? it looks like a pretty beautiful and peaceful place. i know exactly what you mean when you say relaxing but full of adventures. i think the pace of life has a lot to do with it. you can enjoy your time without feeling rushed. i just went kayaking for the FIRST time yesterday, and it was a blast! i think it sounds really fun to go in the rain. :-) happy vacation to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudlunta is a small island on the St. Lawrence River.. if you google map it you can see where it is :) isn't kayaking the best?? we are borrowing Michael's parents' double kayak right now and it is so much fun!

      Delete
  3. love, love, love all the pictures you shared! Mudlunta looks like a magical place. Y'all look so happy and relaxed and of course Cooper does, too! I'm so glad that you and Michael were able to finally enjoy a full week of vacation resting and spending time with family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)