March 26, 2014

How I Use Pinterest

pin from my "decor" board

For some reason, Pinterest is something that I don't spend much time on. It seems to be an addiction for a lot of girls I know. I have friends who literally scroll through Pinterest on their phones throughout the day and talk about spending their evenings getting lost on it. But for some reason, I rarely ever get on to just browse. I'm not really sure why, because I love some of the inspiration I get when I'm browsing. However, I think a lot of time it makes me feel lazy. I look at pictures of food that I really want to make in my kitchen or house updates I want to tackle, and I feel lazy just sitting there on the computer instead of doing those things. So for the most part I don't spend a ton of time just browsing on Pinterest.

BUT this is not to say that I do not use it. I think I might just use it in a little bit different way than other people do. Whenever I go to Pinterest, it is with an intent purpose. Most of my pins are not re-pins, they are pinned from things that I'm looking at out on the web. I probably pin at least one article or recipe daily. Pinterest has become a handy tool in my kitchen, for design inspiration, and for life. I think it is an awesome central location for idea sharing and it's crazy to think that just a few years ago it didn't exist! Here are some ways I use it to keep my life organized.





1. Saving recipes. I read a LOT of blogs. Some of those are solely recipe blogs, and some are lifestyle or some other genre but occasionally a recipe will slip in there. So if something looks really good that I'll want to try in the future, I pin it to my "recipes I'd love to try" board. Then if I try it and like it, I'll move it to my "recipes I've made and loved" board. If I try it and it's a flop, I'll just delete the pin. This really helps me stay organized and if I'm looking for a recipe to make for dinner or for a party I'm going to, I have an entire board full of recipes that I know will be winners because I've tried them before.

2. Searching for recipes. If I'm looking for something specific to make, usually now instead of going to Google, I'll search it on Pinterest. I love being able to browse though photos to find what exactly I'm looking for, instead of having to read through several recipes on the web.

3. Getting decor ideas. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do on this really long hallway wall I have that needs something to fill the space. So I'll go to Pinterest and search "hallway" or "wall art." Or sometimes I'll just browse the design category to see if there is anything that I am looking for. There almost always is!

4. Keeping track of items I'd like to purchase. Did you know that if you pin an item from an online store, Pinterest will send you an email when your pin's price drops? It's amazing, I tell you! So if you're wanting a new rug or piece of furniture from Crate & Barrel but just can't afford the price right now, pin it, and Pinterest will literally alert you when it's on sale. Genius.

5. Saving blog posts and articles. Sometimes I will see a post about motherhood or faith that stops me in my tracks and I think, "I need to go back and reread this one day." When that happens, I pin it to Pinterest. I have a whole board called "motherhood" and it is chock full of information from my favorite mom bloggers that I can go back and read one day when it's applicable.

Now I'm curious. How do YOU use Pinterest? I'm sure there are a million and one ways to use it to our benefit. I'd love to hear your tips and tricks!

> Follow my Pinterest boards here

9 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting blog topic! Thanks for sharing. I bet there are so many ways people use Pinterest differently. I feel like I use it the same way as you, except I also browse - a lot. Pinterest inspires me a lot - in cooking, clothing/fashion, knowledge, travel, etc. Maybe I'll have to write about it sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to see what you have to say about it too! :)

      Delete
  2. i don't have a pintrest account - can you believe it?! i'm definitely afraid of it becoming too much of a distraction (like some you mention), so i love hearing about your experience with it. i also love that decor photo up there - reminds me of my parents bedroom when i was growing up. love classic bedrooms like that. i feel like i would use it for similar reasons - recipes and decor. perhaps when we move to our own home i will start one up so i can keep track of decor and design i like, until then i'm still too nervous haha! but when i do you will be my inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no Pinterest?! that is crazy! kudos to you for not just jumping on the bandwagon because everyone's doing it.

      Delete
  3. I've gotten into using Pinterest as a visual bookmark like you as well. (Occasionally I will browse my feed but it is quite a rabbit hole!) I pin a lot of recipes as well and really like your idea of moving things you've actually made over to a new "approved" board.

    A new thing I like is pinning restaurants or attractions I want to go to around the city and placing it on their map feature. Next time I am out and about searching for a place to go, I can pull up Pinterest on my phone and choose from nearby pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea!! I had seen the maps feature but wasn't sure what to use it for. I definitely need to do that for my next vacation! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. YESSS! I use it in exactly the same way. That is, in a very practical and useful way. I only pin recipes I know I want to try. Same goes for everything else (decor ideas, places I want to travel to, etc.) I know a lot of people who just pin the heck out of things solely because they're beautiful or something catches their eye, and while I don't knock that, I like to use it more as visual bookmarking tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! A visual bookmarking tool is a great way to describe it.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you - Pinterest helps me to stay organized! I do the same thing with recipes: I organize them by category when I see them on blogs, and then I move them if I've tried them and I like them. It helps with meal planning when I want to try something new, or if I want to just make something I know is an easy win. I sometimes browse through pinterest, but I never feel stuck or addicted. There's too many pins that just don't interest me - ha! I like just pinning as I read blogs/articles/etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)