September 20, 2012

A turning point

This post is strange to write, because I'm not even really sure what exactly I want to say. I've truly enjoyed blogging here. I feel like I've learned so much through other bloggers I've come to know, and I've also learned a lot about myself. I want to keep blogging - I really do. I'm just trying to figure out what that will look like.

This blog has evolved a lot over time. It has been an update-the-family blog, a DIY blog, a home decor blog, a recipe blog, a lifestyle blog, and there's probably more. Lately I'm finding that I'm desiring to write blog posts (reading them, too) that have a little more substance to them and for some reason, I just don't feel the freedom to do that on this blog. I see "Real Home Living" and I think of it as the DIY/home decor blog that I once wanted it to be, and I'm not exactly sure that I want it to be that anymore. Maybe partly, but not totally. I used to want to be a popular blog that has a ton of followers where I would showcase awesome tutorials on how to make our homes more homey. Now I'm really just wanting this to be a place of self-discovery more than anything else. I feel limited in what I'm "allowed" to write. Stupid, right? This is my blog and technically I can do whatever I want with it. But I can't get over the title. It just feels weird to me.

So right now I'm debating a few options. Do I start over with a new blog? Or do I morph this blog into what I want it to be, keeping all the history, posts, and comments from Real Home Living, and simply change the title? Or do I just take down this blog and take a little blogging hiatus for a while? I hate giving up on things and I love holding onto remnants of the past, so bear with me as I'm trying to figure this out. I will for sure keep you posted before I make any permanent decisions.

12 comments:

  1. I think you should write about whatever you want! When I started my blog I had no intentions of sharing anything personal - and now I share a lot of things and what I'm learning and processing and going through. It has been such a blessing to meet people who are in the situation and to have a place to write it and put it out there. Sometimes it's scary and I often think about not writing those posts, but am always glad I do. I think you should keep this blog and start adding those posts in when you feel like it!! can't wait to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should feel like you can write about whatever you want on your space. I don't think it would be weird if you morphed this blog into more of a deeper, reflective post kind of blog. I've seen lots of blogs slowly change over time, as bloggers find their voices and find what they're really comfortable writing. But if you really dislike the idea of keeping this space, then just make a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually have a post drafted about why i'm glad i decided to move my blog to a different site (i'll post it this weekend!). when i created my new blog(s) i felt so much more freedom to write about what i wanted to without worrying what people thought about it. it's weird that just changing the space can do that. but i don't think it would be weird at all if you kept this blog and just wrote more of what you're wanting to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Sydni! I totally get that... I'm feeling like even if I just changed the name I could view it differently and really feel the freedom to write what I want to write... as strange as that sounds lol. I will definitely keep you posted on what I end up doing!

      Delete
  4. Laura, I get this. Totally. I love the idea of more personal posts-- those are my favorite to read!

    If you make a new blog, please be sure to tell us. And if you decide to keep this space, then I think a name change might be the right idea! Especially if that's what's "bugging" you!

    (About a year and a half ago I change my blog name and my domain (I used to blog on blogger, then moved to wordpress). I actually took all my old posts with me (so they're in my archives), but the new name/space/look to my blog really felt awesome.

    Good luck with figuring it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with sherri lynn - lots of people's blogs change over time as they exercise their comfort level and how they want to write (i know mine did!) i really hope you keep blogging, and if you do it with a new blog/new name, you know i'll be there reading every post :) good luck with the process of figuring it out and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i read this post i immediately thought of The Nesting Place blog because she is totally a home decor/DIY girl that gets real and talks about her faith and serious things too and i think she does a really good job of connecting the two. so you can do it! :) i love reading what you have to say no matter what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessamyn, you are too sweet! I looked up The Nesting Place and loooved it. Definitely following it now!

      Delete
  7. I love that you are moving toward a place of writing where you will focus more on self discovery. How great! My blog is kind of all things at the same time just depending on what's going on in our life (traveling, recipes, DIY, renovating, what-I-did-this-weekend, etc) so I'm not really a genre, haha! But it helps that I have a pretty generic title (since it is just about our little semi-Italian family:). Either way, I just hope you will continue blogging! I've enjoyed getting to know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you desire to keep blogging, then you totally should. I'm with Sherri and Colleen. The blogs that I've followed for years (including my own) have all evolved in some way. It's just the way it goes. As we grow, we change and so do our blogs - that's the beauty of it! There's nothing wrong with experimenting on this space you have. It's how you find your stride!



    I admire you for being so candid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, Lola - I think I have sort of been in the process of doing the same thing with skopjanka over the last...year. No one knows exactly where their blog is going to take them when they start it and you're never locked into one blog identity. So I say, do whatever you need to do to write with passion & your own voice, because that's ultimately what you want to write and it's ultimately what people love to read from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend :) I agree - writing with passion and from the heart is key. I do think you feel the author's investment in her writing as you read it. There's not much of a feeling there if there isn't much investment. So I do want to write what I truly care about and put my heart into it. Bear with me as I figure it out...

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)