July 10, 2012

Where have I been??

So there hasn't been much activity on the blog lately. I blame that on a few things:

1. Summer - something about the weather makes me just want to relax, have fun, read, and spend time with people. Hence, no time sitting at the computer!

2. Long days, short evenings - it stays lighter later, so I think it's still "day time" at 7 pm. It's usually already 9:30 by the time I actually start being productive with my evening.

3. Oh yeah, we're MOVING in the next couple weeks! Official moving day is next Saturday, but we will start bringing stuff over starting this weekend. Eeek! It is seriously stressing me out. I'm just ready for everything the be moved and have a place in our new home! And I can't wait to share everything with you! I may be a bit absent in the next couple weeks as the craziness commences, but I'm going to do my best to take before and after pictures to share here. I have also already had some luck with finding some items from Goodwill and Craigslist, which I'll have to post about soon. Love me some majorly discounted second-hand furniture!

Of course my living room is starting to accumulate boxes...


That's just the dining room/china cabinet. Yikes.

Oh but I did find a nice packing tip to share with you. I had a red candle that I didn't want to stain whatever it was next to in the box I was shoving it in, so I wrapped it in cling wrap! Worked like a charm.



Only one room down and I'm already wishing the packing part was over. Unpacking is so much easier in my opinion. Any packing tips you'd like to share with me? I'd love to hear!

10 comments:

  1. I've only really moved once and we didn't have a lot of stuff yet so it wasn't too terrible. But agreed that unpacking is better than packing. A friend was packing and numbered all of her boxes so that way she would know if a box was missing. thought it was smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the move!! One of the most helpful things you can do is clearly label on each box which room you want it to go in in the new place. I didn't do that, and we had lots of people helping us bring stuff in, so I had to just direct them where to put everything, and I couldn't always remember where I wanted boxes to go. Labeling will save you time rearranging later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydni, I've been doing that and I know it's going to be SO helpful! I already was forgetting what I had packed away in each box so labels are KEY!

      Delete
  3. Yeah!! Congrats on finding a new homeI can't wait to hear all about your new place! I moved last summer and I agree, unpacking IS much more fun. But at least with packing you get a chance to go through your stuff and declutter and reorganize. I guess there is some goodness in that.

    Also, I am totally with you on the whole "blogging in summer is hard" thing. I'm feeling it too this year! Just trying to enjoy these long days and soak up this warm weather for all it's worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I know, it's so hard to want to do anything else! I don't think we should feel guilty about it!

      And yes, decluttering is definitely good. It's amazing how so much stuff just accumulates! Trying to do a thorough job instead of just tossing everything into boxes :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new place! As I have moved once a year since I started collee (ugh!) I have found that buying the wardrobe boxes from Lowe's to hang your clothes on the racks is REALLY worth the extra money. I don't know how many clothes I've lost falling of the rack on the way to a from the van.

    P.S. We need to talk about your vacation! I am obsessed with the stops on that cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! And yes we do need to talk about our vacations - can't wait to in Florida!

      Delete
  5. I'm excited that you're moving! Did you buy a house?! I seemed to have missed that post if you announced that. I hope packing up everything and moving goes well! Packing seriously is the worst and I hope you're able to finish it up quickly! I'd suggest marking clearly what is in each box so when you don't feel like unpacking anything else but are looking for one specific thing you'll be able to find it. Also I also pack a set of clean sheets, towels, etc. separately because the first thing I want to do each time we've moved is shower and go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't buy - we are still renting for now! But it is a townhome and we'll have hardwoods and more space. Yay!

      I'll have to remember the sheets and towels tip - thanks!

      Delete
  6. oh man - packing to move, so not fun (but your new place will be so worth it!) my co-worker is moving right now and we were brain-storming about this. what helped me for unpacking (no packing advice, seriously i'm the worst at it) - when i move (and i'm working all day) i come home and tell myself to unpack two boxes, or three boxes - set a goal and do it and it feels more manageable. if you exceed your goal, great! if not, a dent has still been made. because staring at all those boxes can feel so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ♥ to hear from my readers :)